Monday, November 30, 2015

The Opposite of De-Stash

Quilting Treasures panel - sewed up!
Sunday Stash folks, I'm here to celebrate an entire month's worth of wanton abandon.
Stashbusting Sewalong folks, this post is me confessing a bout of weakness.

You see, there was this sale...

It was a month-long sale at the shop.  Kind of a gimmick-y thing, we called it Treasure Hunt.  The idea was to clear out some of the older fabrics in the shop, by discounting them based on the year they came in the door.  (For example, a 2005 fabric would be $5 per yard, a 2008 fabric would be $8, etc.)  Are you seeing the potential here???

As an employee, I can always get my discount, so I usually am not swayed by the monthly sales.  But this sale: some of the senior citizen bargain fabrics were priced below my available discount.  And, unfair advantage, I know where the older fabrics are sprinkled around the shop.  (I deliberately waited until late in the month for most of my purchases--gave other shoppers first dibs on saving $$$.)

Batik assortment, 2005 - 2009 fabrics.  I have a charm pack of very light creams to pair with some/all of these.

Two different Minky fabrics (sock monkeys!) to become backings (2013); funky Madras Patch from Michael Miller, and a Marcus Fabrics stripe from the 50% off table.

I hit the Asian section: the fabric on top of the pile, while 100% cotton, has the most amazing texture.  Gonna make a casual jacket out of it.  Below that, a 2005 Lecien Japanese plaid, and a 2009 Etsuko Furuya Echino (45% linen, 55% cotton) in electric fuchsia.

Last shopping day before Thanksgiving, and I bought enough Asian fabrics for a whole quilt, including backing and binding.  Top left corner is Robert Kaufman Asian Traditions (the chrysanthemums), Robert Kaufman Beau Monde, and Fresco from Free Spirit/Westminster.  The remaining fabrics are much older; some go back as far as 2004.  The Alexander Henry print in the bottom right corner is from 2009, I think.  I have this one all planned out, with the pattern.  Maybe I'll get to it in January!

I'm not counting yardage here, since my efforts to keep count all year have been woeful.  Suffice it to say that my stash has grown; BUT almost everything this month was purchased with a project in mind (or even in the works).

Molli Sparkles

Since buying fabric makes me happy, I'm joining in with the other happy, thankful souls at Sunday Stash, hosted by the ever-fabulous Molli Sparkles, and showing off my stuff.

1 comment:

  1. Looks like you found some fantastic deals. The linens look wonderful. Happy sewing!!

    ReplyDelete