Tuesday, February 28, 2012

Paper-piecing class: new skill + new project

I took an introductory paper piecing class last week from Kennette, my quilt-goddess-friend at Something to Crow About

I had only done one paper-pieced pattern before--the one of my own making from January's quilting retreat--and I felt like I didn't know what I was doing.  So the class was a way to boost the knowledge that I got from reading books.  We were using a free pattern found on the internet: Yvonne's daisies (click on "free blocks", then "small blocks - flowers")  The basic daisy consists of four identical blocks; the wallhanging/pillow design we are following uses four daisies (that's 16 individual blocks).  I got one individual block completed during the class, and was waiting to post until I had finished at least one complete daisy.

But I'm too impatient: I have some un-sewing to do after today, and it's been a week since my last post.  I have three-fourths of a daisy...

But...  Ugh... with this new skill, I've backed into starting a new project.  (Before I finished any previous project.  How do I keep doing this?)  In order to not just make an orphan daisy block, I didn't choose to use fabric or scraps from my stash.  I bought new fabric to complete a pillow top, in the color scheme of the guest bedroom.  New fabric.  New project.  Adding to the unfinished projects pile in the sewing room. 

Where will this project be in a month--further along, or taking up space?

No comments:

Post a Comment